Reviewed in American Anthropologist © 1972.
Reviewed in Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs © 1973.
Table of Contents:
A. THE CARIBBEAN: CULTURE AND HISTORY
1. The Caribbean as a Socio-cultural Area, by Sidney Mintz.
2. The Origin of Negro Slavery, by Eric Williams.
3. New Languages for Old in the West Indies, by Douglas Taylor.
C. RACE, ETHNICITY AND CLASS
4. Social Stratification and Cultural Pluralism, by Lloyd E. Braithwaite.
5. Social Stratification and Ethnic Identification, by Elliott P. Skinner.
6. West Indian Characteristics of the Black Carib, by Nancie L. Solien.
D. PLANTATIONS, PEASANTS AND COMMUNITIES
7. Cuban Counterpoint: Tobacco and Sugar, by Fernando Ortiz.
8. Specific Aspects of Plantation Systems in the New World: Community Subcultures and Social Classes, by Eric R. Wolf
9. A Typology of Rural Community Forms in the Caribbean, by Michael M. Horowitz.
10. The Caribbean Social Type: Neither “Peasant” no “Proletarian”, by Richard Frucht.
E. LAND TENURE
11. Land Tenure and the Family in Four Selected Communities in Jamaica, by Edith Clarke.
12. Land Tenure in Three Negro Villages in British Guiana, by Raymond T. Smith
13. Changing Agricultural Land Use on Guadeloupe, French West Indies, by Don R. Hoy.
14. Patterns of Land Tenure in the Leeward and Windward Islands and Their Relevance to Problems of Agricultural Development in the West Indies, by Herman J. Finkel.
F. LABOR, ECONOMICS AND INTERNAL MARKETING
15. Jamaican Fishing: A Game Theory Analysis, by William C. Davenport.
16. Cooperative Labor Groups in Haiti, by Alfred Metraux.
17. The Business of Higglering in Jamaica, by Margaret Fisher Katzin.
18. Kin Groups in a Haitian Market, by Caroline J. Legerman.
19. Traditional Markets and Marketers in the Cibao Valley of the Dominican Republic, by Douglass G. Norvell and R. V. Billingsley.
G. DOMESTIC ORGANIZATION
20. Household and Family in the Caribbean, by Nancie L. Solien.
21. Four Categories of Interpersonal Relationships in the Family and Community in a Jamaican Village, by Yehudi A. Cohen.
22. Life Cycle in an East Indian Village in Trinidad, by Morton Klass.
23. Culture and social Structure in the Caribbean: Some Recent Work on Family and Kinship Studies, by Raymond T. Smith.
24. A Decision Model of Conjugal Patterns in Martinique, by Michael M. Horowitz.
H. RELIGION AND FOLKLORE
25. The Belief System of Haitian Vodun, by George Eaton Simpson.
26. The Focus of Cuban Santeria, by William R. Bascom.
27. Carnival in Nineteenth Century Trinidad, by Andrew Pearse.
28. Animism and Islam Among the Javanese in Surinam, by Waal Malefijt, Annemarie De.
29. The Prophets: a Revivalistic Folk Religious Movement in Puerto Rico, by Scott Cook.
30. The Rastafarian Brethren of Jamaica, by Sheila Kitzinger.