Saturday, February 7, 2015

My Mother Who Fathered Me: A Study of the Family in Three Selected Communities in Jamaica


Clarke, Edith, My Mother Who Fathered Me: A Study of the Family in Three Selected Communities in Jamaica, London: George Allen & Unwin Ltd., 1957.

Available online at Questia and Scribd.

Reviewed in the Journal of Comparative Family Studies © 2002.

From the book sleeve cover:
As Secretary from 1936 to the Board of Supervision, concerned with the administration of poor relief throughout Jamaica, she (Clarke) was able to obtain an intimate knowledge of the living conditions. She gives an accurate, vivid picture of the customs which place so much responsibility on the mother and leave the father remembered most often as the man ‘who fathered the idea of me and left me the sole liability of my mother who really fathered me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment