Saturday, June 24, 2017

Venezuela


Lieuwen, Edwin, Venezuela, 2nd Edition, London: Oxford University Press, 1965.

Reviewed in The Americas.

From the Preface:
I lived in Caracas in 1950 and 1951, during which time I had an opportunity to visit all twenty states, all the major cities, and every oilfield and refinery. One by-product of this sojourn was my book Petroleum in Venezuela, published by the University of California Press in 1954. I visited Venezuela again during 1956. Over the past decade I have had good opportunities to follow closely the extraordinarily rapid political, social, and economic changes that have characterized Venezuela's recent history, either from my United States government posts dealing with Latin American affairs (1952-3, 1955-7) or from my academic employment as Professor of Modern Latin American History (1953-5, and 1957 to the present time). I also keep up a steady correspondence with my many good Venezuelan friends.


Edwin Lieuwen (February 8, 1923 – May 25, 1988) was an American historian, professor, and author. His area of expertise was focused on Latin America. His work was a major precursor to the establishing of the Latin American Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment