Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Study of the Chinese in Cuba, 1847-1947


Corbitt, Duvon Clough, A Study of the Chinese in Cuba, 1847-1947, Wilmore: Asbury College, 1971.

See: A Question of Methodology: Review Essay on Recent Literature on Cuba, by Anthony P. Maingot, and Chinese Contract Labour in Cuba, 1847-1874, by Mary Turner.

From the Preface:
Upon the occasion of my removal from one home to another during my Cuban residence, the Chinese laundryman on the corner stepped out, took my portable typewriter from my hand, and with the remark, “Him sabe, nueva casa,” accompanied me to my new home. For the next ten years Felipe took it upon himself to tutor me in Chinese life, customs and language. His achievement was to awaken my interest in the Cuban Chinese so that, when, in the course of investigations in the Archivo Nacional de Cuba on other subjects, I discovered numbers of papers dealing with the importation of Chinese coolies, I was moved to examine them with more than passing care. This volume is the fruit of that introduction, from which I have reaped much pleasure and many friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment